Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Delhi calling...

After a 3.5 months hiatus on bench, I have finally got a project! And that too, an onsite opportunity! Where else other than the Indian capital - Delhi! Well, lots of untold stories on how I got this project, but I needed any project badly, thanks to the recession and the news about firing going around the campus. Well, with this here I am..

5th April. A first look at Delhi.. As usual, I was welcomed with a huge jam outside the Indira Gandhi Intl airport. The person at the prepaid booking counter, the cab driver, and few people whom I met at airport, - all were rude. Is this the way Delhiites are? The taxi driver was driving the Maruti van like the way I drive my bike! And dont ask fellow drivers! Autos are painted yellow and green! What a color combination that is! They claim they have the largest population of CNG vehicles, but the looks of Delhi city busses is horrible. BMTC in all ways rocks. My expectations sunk.


All thru the way to Infy Guest house, construction projects of Delhi Metro were going on. Hence, the roads were humpy dumpy, needless to say.

I arrived at the Guest House at 9:15 PM. Its behind Green Park Market, near Huaz Khas, Delhi 16. Here, already 2 girls from our project - Deepti & Geeta were staying from past 1 month. Manoj, the caretaker of the GH was ready with dinner and served us. It was the first time I had an authentic North Indian meal - Dal, Paneer masala, Basmati rice, Chapati & Curds. It tasted so delicious! I just remembered the North Indian meals served at Infy food courts and else where outside in Bangalore, its was just pathetic! It was only North Indian meals on board, but on taste - hopeless..! Nevertheless, I fell in love with the Delhi food. Hope my belt doesn't get tight ;)

6th April. The first day to office. As I approached the dining table, I was amazed and puzzled to see the person sitting on it. I checked to see if I had entered a wrong room or something, but no! I was in the correct room and the person who sat was DC head of Bangalore. With no option left out, I sat in front of her and had Upma and chutney observing table etiquettes. I hate this!

The cab had been waiting down at 7:30 AM and we boarded it. Its a 45 min journey to Gurgaon, our client office location. On the way, I saw my one time dream college IIT Delhi, and Qutub Minar. This cab driver also drove so rashly, it took my spines off! Guess, this is the tradition. Entering Gurgaon, a huge chunk of cars were piled up over signal, it it reminded me of Hosur road. I thought this road was the granddad of Hosur road!

Office was cool, met client side managers and few people. I didn't have a system to work on, and so for most of the time was loafing around the DLF area. Huge buildings stood all over, and it really made me wonder if this was India! DLF has vast premises here, no wonder they are sponsoring IPL! The girls are just smokin hot than the sun. Someone had said that the NI girls are bombs, I would rate them as explosives! ;)

Well, food was served at our client office as complimentary and it was just yummy. I am now all praises for the NI food!

The cab was ready at 5:30 PM and it took us approx 1:15 mins back to the Guest House. The traffic was no better than Bangalore's Majestic. In the eveneing, myself and Deepti checked out the Green Park Market area near the GH and had some chats and were back to GH. Around 9 PM, had my dinner, went out for a walk and called up Bangalore home and slept by 11.

Hmm... here goes my first impression. Hoping to have a great time here and visiting all the landmarks and nearby cities on weekends. The stories of the sun and health scares me, but as I said, there are other hot stuffs... ;)

No comments: