Monday, July 20, 2009

Ajmer trip

Last thursday, I suddenly got a thought of visiting the only Brahma temple in the world at Pushkar which is near Ajmer, and instantaneously booked to and fro tickets thru Rishabh travels in Delhi over phone. I also checked out some guest houses thru net, but all seemed to be pricey, and so thought of finding accomodation once I reach there. Thus began my totaly unplanned tour to Ajmer, all by myself again.

On Friday, I started from guest house and reached Tis-Hazari by 9 PM and paid the travel agency. He said the bus would come by 10 PM, but finally it came at 11 PM and started to Ajmer. Midway, at around 1 AM, the bus stopped for a break at some dhaba. I was fast asleep then, and at 1:25 AM or so, got down from the bus as it was very hot and my sleep broke. I just refreshed, and when I turned, the bus had left! I was half asleep then and just couldn't think of what to do! My baggage, camera, tickets and everything was in the bus. I didn't have the number of bus too. I got shit scared and ran to the manager of the dhaba and told about my situation. He told that Rishabh travels had left 5 mins back and that I go in another private bus which was standing there. He asked the driver of another bus to take me to Jaipur, from where I could (hopefully) get my bus. After some 20 mins, the other bus started and all thru the journey, I was awake hoping that he overtakes my bus. I sat in the cabin thru out. In the meanwhile, the helper of the bus made a call to some office and asked them to stop my bus at Jaipur, and he assured me that I would get Rishabh at Jaipur. I had already made plans to return back to Delhi from Ajmer the same day, if I hadn't found my bus. Finally, at 6 AM or so, our bus reached Jaipur where in Rishabh's bus was also waiting. A huge releif for me! I quickly got down from the bus, paid the driver Rs. 100 and jumped to Rishabh and found my things intact. I was on cloud 9!

I reached Ajmer at 9 AM and by then the showers had started. I thought my trip would be a flop, as I hadn't got umbrella or anything. Some guy approached me and told that he will take me to a hotel in city centre where all places were close by. He dropped me at Gulab Palace Hotel and I checked out the rooms and rates. It was ok hotel, and anyways for a night only, so I checked into it and paid the manager Rs. 700 as advance. I refreshed and decided to go to Pushkar first, as by then the weather was much better. I took an auto to Ajmer bus stand and immediately got into a bus to Pushkar. Bus service to Pushkar is there every 15 mins from bus stand. Along the way, I saw the famous Ana Sagar lake. Pushkar is on the other side of the Aravali hills, so there were little ghat sections. Distance is around 12 kms, and the bus took half an hour or so to reach Pushkar and the fare of bus was only Rs. 9.

I reached Pushkar at around 12 PM and walked thru the narrow streets here too. I saw the Rangaji temple on way, and thought of covering it while returning. On way, I saw the Pushkar Ghats also and the lake. Someone told me to first visit the lake and the go to the temple. I wasn't sure what I was getting into, and then a man came to me telling I need to do pooja to the ghats first and then only I would be permitted to go to Brahma temple. I fell into his trap and he took me to one ghat and did pooja and ripped me of Rs. 300. He showed me the Savitri temple on the hill and told that this Godess had put cursed Brahmaji that no temple of his would be built on earth. He then packed some prasad packets and showed me the way to Brahma temple, which was again on the road only. I felt miserable and helpless at my fate. All are thieves here!

I continued walking upto Brahma temple. There, bags and cameras were not allowed (new rule !) so had to deposit these at some counter nearby paying Rs. 50. I entered the temple and as I entered, there were Gods of Indra and Kubera seated on an elephant on either side after the main door. Straight was the red - blue painted Brahma temple, which also is full of marble. I took these pics of the temple and Brahmaji from net. Next to Brahmaji is his wife Gayatri.

For more info on Pushkar, Brahma temple and its legends, click here.

Besides Brahma temple, there was an underground Shiva temple also. I covered both places and felt blissful. The temple surroundings were calm with weather so soothing. I came out of the temple and hunted for a restaurant. I found one closeby, had meals and then left the place.
All along the way, there are numerous small temples here and there. Itseems there are around 52 ghats around Pushkar lake. One such ghat called Gow ghat had number of pigeons there.
On way back, I thought of going to Rangaji Temple, but it was closed.

I came back to the bus stop and caught a bus back to Ajmer. In Ajmer, I was thinking where to go next, when an auto guy came to me and told that he would take me to all places of Ajmer for Rs. 80. I went along with him and first he took me to Soniji Ka Nasiya Jain temple. This temple is dedicated to Lord Adinath, the first Jain 'tirthankara' and is located on Prithviraj Marg. The two-storied structure of Nasiyan Temple is divided into two parts, where one is the worship area comprising the idol of Lord Adinath and the second is the museum including a hall. The museum hall is amazing due to its mind blowing interiors made up in gold. This exquisite museum depicts the five stages (Panch Kalyanak) in the life of Lord Adinath, in the stature of statues. With the dimensions of 40 x 80 feet, the hall is adorned with Belgium stain glass, mineral color paintings and stain glasswork. This temple is also known as Golden temple, due to its precious stone, gold and silver work. Its just superb!

Next he took me to Akbar's palace, which is now converted to a museum. This place is very small, only some 2 buildings on either side and 1 in centre. The centre one had pics of Rajasthan folklore, Ajmer & Pushkar and other stuffs. The gallery next to it had ancient idols dating back to 15th Century or so.

I asked the driver to drop me off at Adhai Din ka Jhopra, but he told that it was near to Dargah and its a one way traffic over there. So, he dropped me off at Dargah Road, and from there I walked towards Dargah. I was told that you cannot carry bags, cameras inside Dargah, so I decided to first see Adhai Din ka Jhopra, come back to hotel and then visit the Dargah. This Adhai Din ka Jhopra is a 10 min walk from Dargah thru a very small dirty lane filled with non-veg stalls. I didn't quite like the ambience of this place. With great difficulty, I reached this monument.

Adhai Din ka Jhonpra is an exquisite example of early Indo-Islamic architecture. Designed by Abu Bakr of Herat, the Adhai Din ka Jhonpra is believed to have been built in two and a half days, and is thus named Adhai-din. It has very intricate carvings in Urdu, very nice to see, though not understandable.

For more info on this, click here.

Here, I met a couple from Hubli who were here to visit the Dargah. The guy told that he would take me to Dargah and help me keep my things in a shop nearby. I decided to go with the guy and he got me to a shop. But the shopkeeper made it compulsory for me to purchase flowers & all if I had to place my things in his shop. Thieves here too! I decided not to do so and told the guy that I would keep things at my hotel and come back. Accordingly, I went back to the hotel, took some rest and then came back to Dargah Sharif.

'Dargah Sharif' or 'Holy Dargah' is one of the most sacred Muslim shrines in the country. Venerated by both Hindus and Muslims, it is the tomb of Khwaja Moin-ud-din Chisti, a Sufi saint who came from Persia and devoted his life to the service and upliftment of the poor and downtrodden. The Dargah has a massive gate with silver doors built in several stages. Revered by the Mughal rulers, it has touches of Humayun to Shah Jahan in its structural architecture. A silver railing and a marble screen surround the actual tomb of the saint, made of marble with a gold plated dome.

Inside the Dargah, surrounding the tomb of the saint, there was a huge rush. I was there in the queue for 10 mins or so, then exited from the first door. The tomb was covered with rose petals and 'chadars'.

There were huge vessels where food was cooked outside. Also, there was a Buland Darwaza. After seeing all these, I came out of the main entrance and went to hotel and slept for some time. Then at 8:30 PM, I set out in search of a hotel and found one on Prithviraj Road, and had a Punjabi thali and came back to the hotel and crashed at 10 PM.

The next day, I woke up at 7:30 AM, and packed things and checked out of the hotel at 9:30 AM. I went to the bus stop and enquired about how to go to Nareli. Everyone told that there was no direct bus to Nareli and to hire an auto for Rs. 200 - 250. I went out of the bus stand and made a deal with an auto guy to take me to Nareli for Rs. 200, as this place was about 14 kms from city centre.

I reached Nareli at around 10:30 and was very excited to see the place. A huge garden sprawled with temple at the rear end near the mountain. Also, on top of the mountain, there were small temples being built. This temple had a very beautiful architecture.

Inside the main temple, a huge hall is there where in the huge idol of the first Jain Tirthankara is placed.

Breathtaking view from top (from net) - I didn't climb up there though.

Alltogether, it was an awesome place, soon to become very famous. Undoubtedly, Jains are cash rich!

After seeing this, I returned back to bus stop. I then took a shared auto to Ana Sagar lake. By the side of the lake, there is a huge garden called Daulat Bagh. Its full of greenery and was so good to watch. There is a huge compound which lies adjoins Ana Sagar and the garden. The cool breeze coming there was truely refreshing in the scroching sun.

I returned from this place and went to a restaurant and had proper popular Rajasthani meal - Dal Bati Choorma with Ghatta sabji and ghee. It tasted yummy and was too filling. I couldn't even get up from my seat! I finally managed to get out of the restaurant and went straight to bus stand, as I was too sleepy and there was no accomodation. I reached the bus stand and slept on a chair for some time. I woke up at 3:30 and decided to go to Mayo college and took a shared auto. But the auto driver dropped me off near a fly over and told that Mayo college was on the other side of the flyover and I had to walk some distance. As it was damn sunny, I didn't have the guts to walk in the sun, so took the same auto and came back to the bus stand. I next decided to go to Sai Baba temple and enquired about it. The guys told me to go to Railway station and catch bus number 1 from there to AjayNagar. I did so accordingly and finally reached Sai Baba temple at around 4:30 PM.

This temple is situated in the outskirts of the city. This has a huge hall inside and the idol of Baba is at the end. A very peaceful and calm place to be.

After taking some rest here, I moved and came back to the railway station. From there, I took another auto and came back to bus stop and did some time pass till 7 PM. I had lots of time to be wasted, as my bus was at 9:30 PM. Actually, got a little bored that day! I then called up the travel guy and asked where he was located. He told me to come to Kutchery Road where his shop - Mahadev travels was located. I reached the place and paid him Rs. 220 for the sleeper and told that I would have my dinner and would return. For dinner, I wasn't that hungry, as the Dal Bati Choorma was solid. I just bought 2 bananas and had sugar cane juice and came back to the shop. At 9 PM, some guy, supposed to be the ticket collector of the bus came in a bike and the shop owner asked me to go with him to the bus stand. Private bus stand was 4 kms away from the Govt bus stand. I reached the bus stand where my bus was waiting, and got into the bus and decided - come what may - I wouldn't get off the bus till I reached Delhi! I got an upper sleeper berth and slept peacefully till I reached Delhi at 6:30 AM. I then took a bus from Old Delhi Station direct to my place and reached guest house at 7:30 AM.

With this, ended my adventurous trip to Ajmer! For next week, Vaishno Devi is on cards..

1 comment:

EC said...

We planned out a quick trip to Ajmer and Pushkar reading your post..We had a nice trip- Also visited Varaha temple, old ranganath temple and new one -all in Pushkar apart from the places u mentioned there. Thanks for the nice info u give about ur trips..helps others to plan accordingly.